Sunday, August 18, 2013

Cloth Diapering 101

When I first started cloth diapering, I was having a heck of a time figuring out what was what. So I found this video SUPER helpful!



I bought basic pocket diapers off of eBay. I found some for about $5 each. No way was I going to pay $15+ per diaper. Even though they are still cheaper than buying sposies in the long run, it's a HUGE initial investment.

I also have been doing cloth wipes. It's just easier than having cloth diapers and paper wipes. I can just throw both the wipes and diapers into the wash. I just got some of those microfiber auto wipes and cut them in half. I ordered like a 24 pack and really I have way too many. I just have them folded up and I spray them with a simple cleaning solution. A lot of other people go all out with tea tree oil or lavender or whatever.

Mine is simply:
1 part baby wash (I use the Johnson and Johnson all-in-one)
1 part baby oil
2 parts water

I originally was just keeping the wipes wet with just water, but I found that the wipes started to smell of mildew (even though I alternated every couple days) and they didn't slide or clean his bottom like the solution does. Some people keep the wipes in a small container soaked in the solution or they dip it in a container with the solution. I just spray the wipe with the solution. That way I don't waste it and we don't have to worry about it starting to mold.

I'm so glad cloth diapering has come back and has become so much easier than it was when my mom had me. With the pocket diapers, there's no folding and worrying about pins or ties. And no more of those plastic covers that were ugly. The diapers I have come in cute prints and are just so easy. And we are saving SOOO much money by doing it. I'm definitely sold on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment